Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The New Plan - Part 3 of 6: Rest

Series: The New Plan
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

What in life really changes when you worry about it? We know worrying does no good, but we still do it. We're human, but we need to still struggle and try.

1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Building on the idea of trust (previous post), we can trust that God will take care of the matters out of our hands. We plant the seeds (obedience) and than pray for rain (that's up to God).

Do what you can, pray and leave it up to God. I've taken to writing emails, but not doing a ton of follow-up (except out of excitement or to make sure the person got the email). In most cases I figure, I sowed the seed and I'll leave the rest up to God.

Like the guy who kept praying to win the lottery and finally God had to say "Well, at least buy a ticket!"

Resting in Him for paying for our sin is one thing, I'm talking about the day-to-day.

Luke 12:28-30 (NASB)
"But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith!
"And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.
"For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things.

How much should we worry about how we'll take care of ourselves? Our family?

Sure, it's a concern and a responsibility, but, for me, I don't think I know anyone that has had to resort to homelessness or other extreme situations. If I lost my job today (which is realistic), God will provide. Again, in reference to the last post, He's big enough to do it and good enough to care about me.

He even said in the above verse that He'll do it. Do I believe Him? Can I trust Him? Will He do it?

I did a few things after the Chicago trip that started The New Plan. They were all pretty much going against with good business wd tell you. However, since then, sales have gone up and I have had more opportunities to partner with people, discuss broadcasting licensing, etc.

I believe when I stopped trying to run my business, God was able to step in and do it. It's like if someone cut me off on the road and I did something in vengeance, God now can't really do anything or He'd be endorsing my anger, pride, judgment, etc.

My actions were probably preventing Him from blessing my business. I'm called to make videos to minister to kids. If running a business is necessary for that, ok, but I'm not called to "start a media business."

So if we can trust Him to be big and good enough, we can trust Him to take care of us. Moreover, that He knows our heart.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Whether that means He will grant you your desires or places desires into your heart, it doesn't really matter. I believe the end result is the same.

Seek Him and life will be amazing. If He's calling you to do something, do it, but leave the results up to Him. Sow the seeds, pray for rain.

I'll try to provide an analogy like the father-son-swimming-lessons from the Trust post. Imagine if your father setup a trust fund for you. Though you had no idea how it worked, he said it would provide money for the rest of your life.

You cd go get a job or not - either way you cd not make any more or less money. He told you to write books or be a farmer or teach yodeling lessons or whatever. So you didn't have to worry about how well the books sold, your purpose was to write them.

What results are you worrying about that are really up to God?

No comments: