Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The New Plan - Part 2 of 6: Trust

Series: The New Plan
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6


I don't intend to do a radical exegesis on the text or a thesis paper on the concept. I'll let the Spirit lead you into anything further. I hope to simply make the core point: we can trust Him.

Matthew 8:26-27 (NASB)
He said to them, "Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.
The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?"

What kind of a man was He? He was God. He calmed the winds and the waves. It took no effort, just His words. And that's child's play to Him. He spoke the universe into being. You could spend a quick 10 minutes just meditating on how big, powerful, omniscient, etc. God is and only scratch the surface.

So first we need to believe that God can do whatever He wants. Believe that?

Romans 8:28 (NASB)
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

But do you believe what He wants to do is good? Does He use even the "bad" things for good?

We need to be mentally in agreement with these things, but also live them out practically. Can He catch me if I fall? Will He catch me if I fall? If He doesn't, can I believe He has a better purpose for that too? Can I accept that even if I never see how and why?

A father teaching a son to swim will often stand in the water and have his son jump to him. The father can catch the son. The father will catch the son. The son still has a hard time jumping (often times). The father says things like "Trust me. I will catch you."

As the child, do we trust that God can catch us? Do we trust that He will catch us.

The concept of the father not catching the son doesn't follow this example b/c the father said he wd catch the son. If he intentionally didn't, that wd be lying. What might work is if the son had a life jacket on and fell into the water and the father waited to grab him to show him he cd trust the life jacket. I'm not endorsing that, but just trying to show the point.

So can the God that created the universe with a word, calmed the wind and the waves, sent a fish to swallow Jonah, flooded the earth and sent his Son to die for our sins able to do what He wants with your life too? Is He big enough?

And does He love you enough to do what is good? If He sent His only begotten Son to die for me, I think everything else is small in comparison and removes any question that He's good enough.

Unfortunately, it's the big issues that sometimes seem the most clear in this sense. Is He big enough to cure her cancer? Is He big enough to give me a baby? Is He good enough to want a mate for him? Yes.

But the "smaller" issues tend to hang us up. And not so much on the "can He" area, but in the "will He" area. Will He let me get this job? Will He let me get this house?

Of course, if the answer is "No" the more complete answer is "No, I have something better." Can we believe that? Is Romans 8:28 true?

If I talk to a network about airing Booples, can I trust that if they choose not to that it's for the best? Yes! If I talk to someone about partnership that seems like it would mean the world to me and it doesn't happen, can I trust He's in control? Yes! If Booples crumbles completely and all is lost, can I trust that my relationship with Him makes all the difference in my life, that I can be 100% content with life in Him alone and that He's still infinite and nothing can be added to Him? Yes!!!

He is big enough. He is good enough. Put Him first and not only will you find peace and contentment in Him, but the rest will feel like gliding instead of like breaking rocks with your head.

Matthew 6:33 (NASB)
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

Wow, this turned out to be MUCH, MUCH longer than I intended. I hope you made it this far!

No comments: